- Specialist clinical interests:
- Specialist with fellowship training in spinal surgery: Acute spinal conditions (disc prolapse, sciatica, arm / neck pain), Spinal tumour surgery including primary malignant, secondary malignant and benign spinal tumours, Spinal deformity complex spinal procedures, Spinal sports injuries and trauma, Degenerative spinal conditions – lumbar / thoracic / cervical, Minimally invasive approaches to the spine, Multidisciplinary back pain management.
- Professional profile:
Hanny was born in England and raised in Wales attending New College School in Cardiff. He lives in North London and is married with three young children. He was a keen basketball player and captained the Cardiff Clippers U18 and his University team. Most of his time outside work is now dedicated to family life.
Hanny sub-specialises in the surgical treatment of spinal tumours and complex spinal deformity. He is one of the spinal sarcoma surgeons of the London Sarcoma Service. He also leads the spinal tumour service at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital Stanmore.
Hanny has developed a practise using minimally invasive techniques and navigation to increase the safety and improve the recovery from complex spinal surgery. By recording his patients outcomes and with continuing research interests, he aims to improve the level of treatment for spinal patients.
- Education and training:
Hanny obtained an intercalated Bachelor degree in Medical Sciences with Honours in London in 2002, and graduated from St. Bartholomew’s and the Royal London Medical School, University of London the following year. He undertook his basic surgical training in London. This was followed by working as a Trauma Fellow before entering higher surgical training in Trauma and Orthopaedics in 2007 on the prestigious Percival Pott training programme.
Hanny’s general Orthopaedic training rotated through historic and renowned British Orthopaedic Units including St. Bartholomew’s and the Royal London Hospitals, the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, Great Ormond Street Hospital and the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital.
In 2010, Hanny obtained his Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in Trauma and Orthopaedics (FRCS-Orth) and in 2013 was placed on the Specialist Register (CCT). In 2014, Hanny joined the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital as a Consultant Orthopaedic and Spinal Surgeon.
- February 2013: Spinal Fellowship at Guy’s, St. Thomas the Evelina Children’s Hospital, London. This was a paediatric and adult spinal fellowship comprising the full spectrum of spinal surgery under the supervision of Jonathon Lucas, Khai Lam, Tom Ember and Bahram Fakhouri.
- May 2013: British Association of Spinal Surgeons (BASS) Travelling Fellowship at Bristol, Exeter, Oxford, Adenbrookes (Cambridge), Norwich and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery Queens Square. This competitively awarded travelling fellowship visited 6 of the most prestigious spinal units in the United Kingdom.
- December 2013: Complex Spine Fellowship at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurogsurgery, Queens Square. This eminent complex neurosurgical spine fellowship was under the supervision of David Choi and Jim Allibone.
- Cervical Myelopathy. Ayub A., Anwar H. Orthopaedics and Trauma. Dec 2015.
- Segmental Pelvic Correlation (SPeC): a novel approach to understanding sagittal plane alignment. Anwar H., Butler J.S., Yarashi T., Rajakulendran K., Molloy S. The Spine Journal. Sep 2015
- Surgical percutaneous biopsy of discitis and vertebral osteomyelitis is significantly better than CT guided biopsy in identifying the causative organism. Popa R., Magnano L., Anwar H., Wilson L. The Spine Journal. Mar 2015.
- Risk factors for long-term neurological deficit following intraoperative monitoring alerts: do interventions change the outcome? Anwar H., Stevenson F., Molloy S. The Spine Journal. Mar 2015
- Hookplate versus tightrope for injuries at the lateral end of the clavicle. Anwar H., Wood L., Bagley C. Wilson D., Haddo O. Journal of Biomechanics. 43 Supp 1:S5, June 2010.
- The effects of heavy metals from total hip replacement wear debris on bacterial growth. Anwar, H. A. 1; Hart, A. J. 2; Visuvanathan, S. 1; Aldam, C. H. 1.Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery - British Volume. 91-B Sup 2:300, 2009.
- Circulating levels of cobalt and chromium from metal-on-metal hip replacement are associated with CD8+ T-cell lymphopenia. Hart, A. J.; Skinner, J. A.; Winship, P.; Faria, N.; Kulinskaya, E.; Webster, D.; Muirhead-Allwood, S.; Aldam, C. H.; Anwar, H.; Powell, J. J. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery - British Volume. 91-B(6):835-842, June 2009.
- Cauda equina syndrome versus saddle embolism. Shaw A; Anwar H; Targett J; Lafferty K. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 90(6):W1-W3, September 2008.
- Removing symptomatic gallstones at their first emergency presentation. Anwar, Hanny A; Ahmed, Qmar A; Bradpiece, Howard A. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 90(5):394-397, July 2008.
- The effect of metal ions in solution on bacterial growth compared with wear particles from hip replacements. Anwar, H. A.; Aldam, C. H.; Visuvanathan, S.; Hart, A. J. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery - British Volume. 89-B(12):1655-1659, December 2007.
- Individually packed sterile screws increase operative time in orthopaedic surgery: A cause for concern? H.A. Anwar, U. Mufti, A. Mathew and N. Saw. Injury Extra Volume 39, Issue 5, May 2008, Pages 162-163
- A prospective study comparing angle stable internal fixation of distal radius fractures with K-wiring and plaster immobilisation. Anwar H.A., Hossain N., Talwalker N., Saw N. Injury Extra, Volume 39, Issue 5, May 2008, Pages 188-189
- Segmental Pelvic Correlation (SPEC). A novel approach to understanding Sagittal spinal Aligment. IMAST July 2014
- A novel reliable radiographic parameter for measuring spinopelvic harmony. BSS November 2013
- Superior functional outcome using modern metaphyseal fit uncemented hemiarthroplasty. Pastides P., Anwar H., Wood L., Haddo O., Saksena J. EFORT, June 2011
- Pre-operative counselling in the operative treatment of idiopathic adolescent scoliosis. Anwar H., Azegami S., Rai A., Lutchman L.N., Crawford R.J. British Scoliosis Society Annual Meeting. December 2010
- Hook plate versus tightrope for injuries at the lateral end of the clavicle. Anwar H., Wood L., Bagley C., Wilson D.*, Haddo O. International Conference on Orthopaedic Biomechanics, Clinical Applications and Surgery, June 2010
- Individually packed sterile screws increase operative time in orthopaedic surgery: a cause for concern? Anwar H., Matthews A., Hossain A., Saw N. BTS Annual conference Oct 2007.
- A prospective study comparing angle stable internal fixation of distal radius fractures with K-wiring and plaster immobilisation. Anwar H., Talwalkar N., Hossein A., Saw N. BTS Annual conference Oct 2007.
- The Effects of Heavy Metals from Total Hip Replacement Wear Debris on Bacterial Growth. Anwar H., Hart A., Visuvanathan S., Aldam C. European Bone and Joint Infection Society in association with the Muskuloskeletal Infection Society of North America combined meeting, September 2007.