Mr Mokawem is a consultant spinal surgeon at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, specialising in all aspects of spinal surgery with a particular interest in paediatric and adult spine deformities. He advises on non-operative and operative management and empowers patients to make fully informed decisions. He uses minimally invasive techniques, computer navigated surgery and traditional open techniques as appropriate. His paediatric scoliosis practice encompasses the full repertoire of management strategies and he is aiming to offer vertebral body tethering in selective cases.
Mr Mokawem completed the prestigious National Spine Surgery Fellowship at the Leeds Teaching Hospitals. This is a combined neurosurgical and orthopaedic spine surgery fellowship which covers the breadth of spinal surgery and the full spectrum of spinal conditions in both paediatric and adult patients. He completed a complex spine surgery fellowship at the internationally recognised Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital. This included minimally invasive and computer navigated surgery with Mr Robert Lee, paediatric deformity surgery with Mr Jan Lehovsky and spinal tumour surgery with Mr Hanny Anwar.
He undertook an educational visit in September 2018 to the Eifelklinik, St Brigida in Simmerath, Germany to learn about vertebral body tethering from Dr Per Trobisch.
Mr Mokawem has presented at national and international spine surgery conferences and has published in peer-reviewed journals.
- National Spine Surgery Fellowship at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust – 2018
- Complex and Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery Fellowship at The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust – 2017
- Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery Specialty Registrar Training, Health Education England Yorkshire and The Humber: 2011 – 2017.
- FRCS (Tr&Orth) RCSEng - 2016
- MRCS RCSEng – 2009
- Diploma in Anaesthesia – 2005
- MBChB -1999
- Interbody Fusion Rates
- Vertebral body tethering
- Activity Tracking in Spinal Surgery
Procedures/treatment to be undertaken
- Paediatric scoliosis correction
- Minimally invasive interbody fusions
- Minimally invasive posterior fusions
- Computer navigated spine surgery
- Lumbar spine decompressions
- Lumbar discectomies
- Cervical spine decompressions and fusions